What Is Apple TV 4K?
While priced higher than all of its competitors, Apple TV 4K may end up being the best bargain in streaming devices. Apple TV 4K is great for a number of reasons, the best of which being that if you own one, Apple will upgrade your iTunes movie library to 4K.
- The average cost difference between an HD version of a movie and a 4K version of a movie is around $5-$10. This means if you have ten movies in your iTunes movie library, you are getting around a $75 value in the upgrade to 4K alone. If you have twenty-five movies, Apple TV 4K practically pays for itself.
- If you don't already own a movie, Apple will let you pick up the 4K version for the same price as the HD. You won't have to pay a premium to get the same movie in its best format.
- In terms of picture quality, Apple TV 4K supports both 4K resolution and HDR10. While 4K has all the buzz, High Dynamic Range (HDR) may be more important to picture quality. As Apple puts it, 4K gives you more pixels on your screen, while HDR gives you better pixels. Instead of just increasing the resolution, HDR gives you a higher range of colors to increase the quality and depth of the image. Apple TV 4K also supports Dolby Vision, which is a form of HDR with an even higher color range.
- But Apple TV isn't just about streaming video. The processor in the Apple TV 4K is the same A10X Fusion processor in the second-generation iPad Pro. The obvious beneficiary here is gaming, but it has so much processing power that you might start seeing productivity apps like Numbers and Pages come to the Apple TV.
- Apple TV 4K also shines with internet connectivity. Not only does it include a 1 Gigabit Ethernet port, it has the latest Wi-Fi technology including MIMO, which stands for multiple-in-multiple-out. If you have a dual-band router, Apple TV 4K essentially connects to it twice (once on each "band"). The doubled-up wireless connection can be faster than a single wired one, and it is especially helpful when dealing with 4K content.
What Is the Apple TV App?
Since we live in a world of streaming where lots of things are available at any time, it can be a bit paralyzing to figure out what to watch. And thanks to so many different services, where to watch it.
Apple's answer is a new app simply called "TV." In many ways, it is the same as what you get when you open Hulu Plus or another similar app. You'll see a variety of different shows and movies starting with those you've recently watched and expanding to suggested titles. The big difference is that these videos are coming from a variety of sources, like Hulu Plus, HBO Now, and your movie collection in iTunes. The TV app gathers all of this content in one place so you can easily browse through all of it. It even has a Sports channel that will show live events including the current scores. Unfortunately, Netflix is not integrated into Apple's TV app, so you'll still need to check that app independently.
Latest news and updates
- What Is Apple TV 4K?
- What can apple tv do
- What Is Apple TV? How Does It Work?
- How to Clean Your Phone Screen?